Waipawa, Hawkes Bay.
Signed up with the RNZAF in 1940,
joined 489 NZ Squadron (Coastal Command).
A foundation member, doing two tours flying as
on Blenheim IVs in 1942, then on Handley Page
Hampdems in 1943.
(known fondly as "the
Flying Suitcase" because of the very small
returned to New Zealand as an instructor.
Squadron was formed in August 1941 as a torpedo
bomber squadron, orginally with Bristol
then Blenheim IVs in January 1942. Hampdem
torpedo bombers carried out anti-sub patrols,
attacks on E-boats and
surface shipping. Re-equipped with Beaufighters
(Oct 1943), they carried out operations along the
Dutch and French coasts. The Norwegian coast was
later added to their areas of operation.
The Squadron disbanded in 1945, just after
receiving the first shipment of Mosquito FB6s.